Monday, August 1, 2011

STUDENT PARTICIPANTS TELL US ABOUT THEIR EXPERIENCES TAKING CHARGE

In an age of sound bites, political posts capped at 140 characters, and the emotional disconnect of talking to someone on a computer, there’s nothing like a face-to-face conversation to really make an impact. I was initially drawn to canvassing for the money, but while working for Groundwork Denver I realized how much of an effect we’ve had talking to 40-50 people a night. I’ve seen people sign up for free audits, free recycling; even plant a free tree in their yard! As a result, they’ve not only made the world a greener place, they’ve also used the audit, and the funds Groundwork Denver provides to help, to improve their home and save hundreds of dollars in energy bills. Looking at people like that, it’s tough not to make a case for canvassing as the true engine of grassroots change. - Julian

I immigrated to the U.S. about three years ago from Vietnam, a developing country where community services are just such a rare thing to even think about. However, becoming a member of such a diverse family, Groundwork Denver has incredibly altered this narrowed vision. I have learned to value nature; to appreciate the hard work of many people out there. I’ve learned that a combination of peers and the heat of boiling summer builds friendships. Most significantly, I realize that little things that our organization’s youth team has been doing, such as canvassing for a greener environment by using CFL light bulbs, giving a free energy assessment, or even just signing up someone for a recycle bin can have a huge practical impact on our environment.

Groundwork Denver has miraculously poured the exciting energy into me to take a leadership role to advance awareness to other people, while effectively educating me about the importance of energy conservation. Furthermore, the organization has helped me explore the outside world, to meet new people and to be more complete as a good citizen. It is indeed helpful and needed because not everyone is motivated enough to responsibly use energy; not everyone is well informed enough to know what they could do for the surrounding where they live in. Yet, at Groundwork, community actions are engraved for the best environmental results. I believe, with all the great jobs of the directors accompanied with the enthusiasm of the employees, canvassers as well as Green team members, Metro Denver area, especially low-income neighborhoods, will surprisingly become the most sustainable community. - Quang

My name is Jodie and I’m an Energy Outreach Canvasser at Groundwork Denver. I believe canvassing is important because it gives lower-income families the chance to receive resources that will help them save energy (and money) in their homes. Not only does canvassing help people, it also helps the environment. By using a CFL light bulb instead of an incandescent, or by getting proper insulation installed, homes can use a lot less energy. This allows us to preserve the few natural resources our Earth has left. I’ve had a few positive experiences with canvassing. One uplifting experience occurred when I spoke with a mother and son at their home. They had a very low income and needed all the help they could get. With Groundwork Denver’s free resources, the family switched their front porch light bulb to a CFL and obtained a free home energy assessment. The son also received free RTD bus fare. Though it may not seem like much, the family was very thankful for our resources and said it would help their financial situation a lot. Assisting this family left me with a happy and satisfied feeling. - Jodie

I joined Groundwork Denver because I wanted to be actively involved in my community. I believe that each person has the ability to positively affect their community and every bit of active support helps. While canvassing has proven to be difficult due to Colorado's late afternoon thunderstorms, I have still been able to provide many people with free and useful resources. These resources can save money to those in dire need of help, and that's real progress in this economy. We are providing them with the tools to recycle, save money, save resources and receive assistance. This experience has been rewarding and the canvassing crew has made a big difference! - Ariana

Door to door canvassing evokes different thoughts among all. It reminds some of the annoying interruptions during dinner, the political campaigns, the attempts of others to sell them things they don’t need. The list goes on. But that isn’t what canvassing is to me. Not anymore. This summer I have had the wonderful opportunity of working with Groundwork Denver as a canvasser. Each day we set out to inform different communities about how to save money on their energy bills and ways to help the environment. At first it was a little discouraging. Some people aren’t home, some people aren’t interested, some people are just rude in general, but then there is that house that makes you realize everything that you have been doing is worth it. For me that house started as I approached the little boy with his dog standing outside. I asked him if his mom was home, and she came out and talked with me. She told me the story of how her husband had lost his job and how their family was facing extremely hard times. She was extremely grateful that I was even able to change her light bulb. As we talked more and more, it began to dawn on me that I was making a difference. The resources I gave them would save them money that they desperately needed. The thing is, this isn’t a rare occurrence. Every day there are experiences similar to this one, people who need the help, people who want to learn, people who just want someone to talk to. Every day we make a difference. Not in the life of just one individual, but in the lives of an entire community. - Caitlin

Working for Groundwork Denver made me realize that society does not care for taking care of the world. People's interests are not in energy conservation because they don't know why they should be. If people understood why the world needs the effort of everyone to conserve energy, then they probably would. It is a depressing day when you knock on a door and you’re giving the option for people to conserve the world's energy for free and they still don't want to help. But it was the people who actually do care and participate in Groundwork Denver's effort to help the world that made my day. - Jacob

Never having gone door to door before, and generally preferring not to talk to people, canvassing has been a very new experience for me. I feel that it’s important, especially considering the state of the environment and economy, and that I’m helping, not only the people I get signed up for things, but everyone because I’m helping to get the information about energy conservation out there. Bit by bit, we can all help everyone be more conscious of the impact they have on the world around them and help them adapt to the world as it is. - Lara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys are doing such a great job, a progressive accomplishment for individual development as well as for the growth of greener environment in our community. Congrat Groundwork!

Magellan Solutions said...

Awesome post a great source of information. Thanks for this wonderful post. keep sharing Live Answering Service

Post a Comment